Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 6

           Recently, I've been having some difficulty with the reading questions on the quizzes. I also found this the most difficult portion on the exam, and I'm not sure what the best strategy is to do well on these questions. While reading the assigned papers or books I try to identity potential questions that could be asked over the readings, but the questions are often more specific than I'm expecting. It seems far too difficult to memorize every detail in the papers and very easy to overlook some things, so I'm at a lost for how to study for these portions of the quizzes and exams.
           The coding examples seem to be getting more difficult to understand and the more unfamiliar as we go, specifically, the python examples. Needless to say, it will take a little more studying to fully grasp everything that can be done in python. Python is definitely a flexible language, but it also makes me question whether some of the flexibility improves the language or makes it more confusing and prone to error. For example, python allows you specify parameters in a function call in almost any order if you specify the name of the parameter you are assigning. An example on the class webpage is f(2, z = 4, y = 3). This can lead to problems though if the method header is changed. Then, the function calls may need to be changed as well. For this reason, I don't see how specifying the parameters in an arbitrary order can be that much more beneficial that putting them in a set order. Perhaps I am so used to java that I don't see some of the benefits of such flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment