Sunday, October 2, 2011

Netflix

          This week my partner and I started working on the Netflix project which has been the most difficult project thus far. The scope of this program is the largest I've ever had to manage, considering how much input there is to handle (~2GB). My partner had this great idea to compare each user to every other user and calculate the RMSE between them. Then, we would find which pair was most similar in their ratings and predict that subsequent ratings would continue to be similar. Unfortunately, creating the cache for this implementation is proving to be a project of its own because there are so many comparisons to make and so much data to keep track of. I think that this method would be able to produce a more accurate rating prediction, but it might be a struggle to implement.
          In class, we discussed different types of loops, operators, and assignments. Studying all of the different ways it is possible to achieve the same result has shown me that there is so much to learn about a language. I have been writing code in java for over 4 years, but it has made me realize that there is so much about the language that I never knew, not just about what's going on underneath but also about syntax. For example, I never knew you could index an array on-the-fly, even though this seems like a pretty useless function...

No comments:

Post a Comment